Skip to main content

Rolls

Is there a restaurant that you go to for the wrong reasons? For example, do you go to International House of Pancakes for the eggs, or Waffle House for the amazing atmosphere and great tasting food? In general, I go to restaurants for the right reasons. But there is one exception: I go to Texas Roadhouse not for the steaks, but for the rolls and butter. For a season, buns were on my mind a little too much. One lonely night I thought about going there by myself just to get some. Knowing I was in a low and desperate state, I rolled my cares to Jesus, and He raised me up and spread His grace over me, giving me the strength to resist. (Why did writing that sentence make me hungry?!)

I'm sure you've heard of the story of Jesus feeding well over 5,000 people with five barley loaves and two fish. But did you catch the post-meal conversation with the ones He fed just a day after?

John 6:25-30: They (the crowd) found him on the other side of the lake and asked, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. But don't be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of approval." They replied, "We want to perform God's works, too. What should we do?" Jesus told them, "This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent." They answered, "Show us a miraculous sign if you want us to believe in you..."

They were coming for the barley and missing out on the Bread of Life.

Right after the miracle they tried to force him to be their king. But Jesus knew they only saw him as the cook, and they just wanted to have it "their way." They thought that if they could force him on their throne in their town, they could eat filet mignon and cheddar bay biscuits whenever they wanted.

Like the crowd, we can get sidetracked into the wrong pursuits. We can miss out on what Jesus is really offering and walk away with the wrong gift. And like the crowd, we want to know what our part is, what we need to do. Jesus responds to us like He did to them, "Believe and trust that I'm enough."

Stop the scratching, clawing and climbing. I've come down to you.
Stop impressing, posturing, politicking. I can't love you anymore than I already do.
Stop going after the things that won't last, that won't fulfill. I'm the only One that will satisfy that insatiable thirst and hunger that you're experiencing. 

Jesus offers us so much more than an answered prayer here and a miracle there. He offers us eternal life and a continuous, non-stop, intimate connection with Him. He's taken care of it all, and there is absolutely nothing we can do in ourselves to earn it or achieve it.

May we believe and trust that He is enough.
May we be drawn to him for the most important reasons.
And may we not miss out on what He's already given us.









Comments

Mike Klemm said…
Well said sir.
Theresa Young said…
Love it! But for some reason I want these rolls. :P I never been to the steak house before. Is it like Red Lobster biscuits because they are amazing too. LOL. In all seriousness though your post does make me stop and reflect on why I come to the cross so often. Worrying is a family trait of ours and is passed down from generation to generation. Right now I am finding myself in a finical situation that makes me worry non stop. I need to remember Jesus certainly is enough. Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God." With God on our side who can stop us?

Popular posts from this blog

Stitched

When I was around twelve, I had gone to the beach with my youth group for a weekend retreat. As we were throwing the Frisbee around, I heard a bunch of commotion coming from the boardwalk. When I looked, I saw this large group of twentysomethings laughing and pointing at something. It looked like whatever it was must have been behind where we were. I started looking around to see what it could have been, but couldn't find anything worthy of such hysteria. And then I realized what it was...it was me. Everyone on the beach and boardwalk had now fixed their eyes on me. It felt like someone had just punched me in the gut and left their fist inside me. They were making fun of my weight and how skinny I was, shouting and pointing for what seemed to be an eternity. The only thing I knew to do was to ask for the Frisbee, "Jeff! Jeff! Throw it here." And then I did the unthinkable. I ran over to the guy doing most of the pointing and shouting, and I attempted to shove the Frisbee

Secure

My family has a tradition. We always get our Christmas tree on Black Friday. It's the earliest you can get one before all the needles fall off just by looking at it wrong. (The week of Christmas I try not to look directly at the tree - always out of the peripheral.) Not only do we get it the same date, but we also get it from the same place which is about thirty minutes away - without the tree on top, of course. Another part of the tradition is showing up at the tree farm totally unprepared and unequipped. Part of the joy is the expressions and stares of others that are there with their gloves, pick-up trucks, roof racks and bungee straps. Some of them probably think we showed up spontaneously as they watch us, in total disbelief, throw a tree on our unprotected car roof without anything to tie it down with. Now, to this point I'm happy with our tradition. But it's here, the part where the tree has to get secured to the car, that I could do without. You would think, that a

Flow (The Parallels of Cholesterol and Our Spiritual Health), Part 1

A couple weeks ago, I went to the doctor to get my test results regarding my cholesterol. I have to tell you I went in feeling pretty confident. I was pretty sure he was going to tell me that I was fine, and I could keep doing what I was doing. One of my biggest weaknesses is food. I love being able to eat whatever I want to without gaining any weight. (I can hear some of you snarling at me reading those words, but hold your snarls. They may soon turn to chuckles.) My worst fear became reality as the doctor unpacked the report that I would no longer be able to eat whatever I wanted to whenever I wanted to. As he handed me the pamphlet of the do's and don'ts of eating, I started having an out-of-body experience right there in his office. If he was talking, I didn't know it. I was...gone. Flashes of floating rice cakes, lettuce and bran muffins were popping up everywhere. Was I really going to have to start eating those things some of my friends were trying to get me to eat