Skip to main content

Flow (The Parallels of Cholesterol and Our Spiritual Health), Part 1

A couple weeks ago, I went to the doctor to get my test results regarding my cholesterol. I have to tell you I went in feeling pretty confident. I was pretty sure he was going to tell me that I was fine, and I could keep doing what I was doing. One of my biggest weaknesses is food. I love being able to eat whatever I want to without gaining any weight. (I can hear some of you snarling at me reading those words, but hold your snarls. They may soon turn to chuckles.)

My worst fear became reality as the doctor unpacked the report that I would no longer be able to eat whatever I wanted to whenever I wanted to. As he handed me the pamphlet of the do's and don'ts of eating, I started having an out-of-body experience right there in his office. If he was talking, I didn't know it. I was...gone. Flashes of floating rice cakes, lettuce and bran muffins were popping up everywhere. Was I really going to have to start eating those things some of my friends were trying to get me to eat - things I could neither pronounce nor find the country they were from. Was I going to have to eat Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast every day? Was I having a nervous breakdown over food?

As I've been dealing with the emotions and feelings of shock and awe of my cholesterol, God has been revealing some of his own startling and surprising reports regarding the state of my spiritual health.


Parallel 1: Both are a reality that shouldn't be ignored
Like a stealth fighter jet quietly flying underneath the radar, cholesterol can go unnoticed for a long time and then seemingly out of nowhere we can find ourselves on a rolling hospital bed in transport to the ER. We can't go through life ignoring the facts regarding our bodies and how they function. The fact about cholesterol is that we all have it. We all have a number, and whether we got the blood test or not, it's there. It's a reality.

It wasn't wise for me to eat whatever I wanted and thinking that it wasn't harming my body. Sometimes I think I'm superman or have some special forcefields that protect me from everything. A part of me still believes that I could never die. I sometimes imagine a car hitting me or an airplane going down and I always end up surviving, always by my own athleticism (can't everyone jump right before the plane hits the ground?). But the fact is, I'm not super human - I'm very human, which means I need a Savior - every day and for everything. We can't go through life thinking that our relationship with God is fine and healthy if we're ignoring the facts regarding how that relationship works best. Sometimes, I just forget that having a relationship with God is a lot like having a relationship with anyone else. The depth of the relationship and how much we want to get to know or be involved with that other person is a 50/50 thing. Relationships take intentionality, time and effort if we want them to be meaningful and lasting. But like our health, our cholesterol, we can pretend that we're all right, that everything's going to work itself out (that God's miraculously going to change the Twinkie that I just ate into a pear). We ignore what we desperately need to focus our attention on.

What's going on underneath your skin, beneath your surface? Is everything flowing the way it should, or is stuff starting to form in places it shouldn't? Maybe it's time to take inventory, to test ourselves, to allow God's light into every crevice and artery. Maybe it's time to take some daily doses of His Word, swallow it, and allow it to reach our day-to-day living. Maybe it's time to stop doing certain things that just aren't healthy and start doing things that are. Maybe it's time to stop being stubborn - to just go to the Healer and allow Him to examine us, diagnose our issues and receive His wisdom and direction.

Remember, like our cholesterol, God is a reality, and He wants to cleanse, refresh, and strengthen our hearts. Allow Him today to help with the blockage, with the clogged arteries of your spiritual health so that He can flow more freely and abundantly through you.

Psalm 1:3 Amplified

And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity].

Comments

Lauren Slesser said…
Josh,
From one skinny person to another, I totally get you on this one!!! On both levels. Thanks for your thoughts. It was a good reminder of reality. ;)
Anonymous said…
Good word,brother!!
May you have good health,spirit,soul and body.
Anonymous said…
very good parallels!! really gets the brain thinking...
Sandy Atkins said…
Josh,
I really enjoy your "letters". They are funny as well as excellent teaching moments. Thanks for taking the time to write!

Popular posts from this blog

Stitched

When I was around twelve, I had gone to the beach with my youth group for a weekend retreat. As we were throwing the Frisbee around, I heard a bunch of commotion coming from the boardwalk. When I looked, I saw this large group of twentysomethings laughing and pointing at something. It looked like whatever it was must have been behind where we were. I started looking around to see what it could have been, but couldn't find anything worthy of such hysteria. And then I realized what it was...it was me. Everyone on the beach and boardwalk had now fixed their eyes on me. It felt like someone had just punched me in the gut and left their fist inside me. They were making fun of my weight and how skinny I was, shouting and pointing for what seemed to be an eternity. The only thing I knew to do was to ask for the Frisbee, "Jeff! Jeff! Throw it here." And then I did the unthinkable. I ran over to the guy doing most of the pointing and shouting, and I attempted to shove the Frisbee

Secure

My family has a tradition. We always get our Christmas tree on Black Friday. It's the earliest you can get one before all the needles fall off just by looking at it wrong. (The week of Christmas I try not to look directly at the tree - always out of the peripheral.) Not only do we get it the same date, but we also get it from the same place which is about thirty minutes away - without the tree on top, of course. Another part of the tradition is showing up at the tree farm totally unprepared and unequipped. Part of the joy is the expressions and stares of others that are there with their gloves, pick-up trucks, roof racks and bungee straps. Some of them probably think we showed up spontaneously as they watch us, in total disbelief, throw a tree on our unprotected car roof without anything to tie it down with. Now, to this point I'm happy with our tradition. But it's here, the part where the tree has to get secured to the car, that I could do without. You would think, that a