Skip to main content

Shells

When you go to the beach, do you at some point pace the shoreline looking for seashells? Do you only collect the prettiest ones? If they're broken, then they aren't leaving with you. If they aren't perfectly whole, if even a sliver has been broken, it isn't making the cut, right?

Every time I enter into this well-worn tradition, the same thought invades my mind, "I'm so glad God isn't like me." I'm glad that God doesn't choose to only love and work through those who are shiny, perfect, and unbroken. During my most recent expedition, a question hovered close behind those thoughts. Is it about more than shells? Is this simple art of shell hunting revealing something about the human heart...my heart? Is most of our time and energy being used toward the wrong things? Have we replaced God with the good things He gave us to enjoy? 

The Lessons I Learned From a Conch Shell
As I searched for the perfect shell, more specifically, the perfect conch shell, I felt an extraordinary power come over my body. It was like the rest of the world had vanished, leaving only me and the path of shells. My eyes were infused with laser-like accuracy. They would only focus in on those that might pass my sterile and rigid inspection. My mind was cheering for me with little shell chants that would ring with splendor as I walked closer toward shell glory. And then, out of my peripheral, I caught my competition. She was an older lady in her seventies with a slight limp and a thick pair of glasses, but I could tell this wasn't her first rodeo. She had a small bag fastened around her waist with what looked like the words "Get your shell on" stitched in a rainbow formation. She worked the shore like a freshly inspired writer works a typewriter. Her eyes coasted back and forth perfectly in sync with each calculated step. I actually started feeling territorial with thoughts like, "How dare she come on my beach trying to get my shells!" Just as I was about to turn my towel into a cape and embroider my own message, I received my first message from the conch shell.

Lesson One: What we're looking for and going after is what we want and value most.

I was looking for the perfect shell, so I went after it with determination, zeal and focus.
It's not that's it's wrong to go after things with passion and determination, but have all the good things taken us away from the only one that's truly good? Is God really getting our best or is He getting what's left? If you were to look at your life and evaluate what you spend the most time, money, energy, and focus on, what would you end up with? The answer will most likely reveal what's most important to you. Many of the things we're going after and desire aren't necessarily wrong, but they could be taking the place of what only God can fulfill. We've heard it said from Scripture that God is a jealous God. He is jealous for us. He doesn't want to compete with other things. He wants all of our hearts, not just the aorta, or left ventricle. Sometimes we can get caught up with things that don't really matter that much. Instead of looking to God and trusting in him we begin to look in other places. So we go after it. We put our heads down, and we keep running until we get it or find it. Instead of being passionate about God, all of our best focus and energy goes towards...well, you fill in the blank.

Lesson Two: We're chasing the wrong prize.

In that moment I believed that nothing was better.
There have been so many things that I have gone after in my life believing that it would bring me lasting and satisfying happiness only to be let down time and time again. It's like we get caught in a trance sort of speak and before we know it we got what we wanted, but we still have that sinking, unsatisfied feeling. So we go to the next thing. We keep getting caught in the grooves of fulfillment. And while we're going after the new house, stuff to fill the house, new church, new spouse, God is trying to get us to see all that we already have and could have in Him. A close relationship with God is the best possible prize that we could go after. The shiny shells that this world offers are nice but they won't matter in the end, in eternity. When our focus and energy is on God, it will keep the things of this world in proper perspective. When God has first place in our lives, we will discover the fulfillment that can only come through him and what He offers us. 

Lesson Three: Living in the ordinary is the key to extraordinary.

I was walking past the very things that needed me the most
Sometimes I can get caught up with tomorrow and the next thing. I constantly have to remind myself that today needs me the most. My girls need me today. My wife needs me today. My neighbors need me today. The stranger that I may run into needs me today. And most importantly God needs me today. It's not that we aren't supposed to think about tomorrow and our future, but does tomorrow have our today? We need to learn to stop and love the people God has placed around us well. We can get so caught up with our goals and worlds that we overlook the most important things. If we constantly live with tomorrow on our mind we won't truly ever live. Let's walk and move slow enough to where we can hear the voice of God and what He may want us to do today.  

I don't see the shells the way I used to. Now when I see them I'm reminded that God alone is worthy of my best time, energy, and focus. And that only when He is my most prized possession will I truly be fulfilled. And lastly I'm reminded that today needs my greatest attention. I hope they serve as a friendly reminder to you as well. 

May you let go of the pursuit of the shell, so that you can receive God's relentless pursuit of you. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitched

When I was around twelve, I had gone to the beach with my youth group for a weekend retreat. As we were throwing the Frisbee around, I heard a bunch of commotion coming from the boardwalk. When I looked, I saw this large group of twentysomethings laughing and pointing at something. It looked like whatever it was must have been behind where we were. I started looking around to see what it could have been, but couldn't find anything worthy of such hysteria. And then I realized what it was...it was me. Everyone on the beach and boardwalk had now fixed their eyes on me. It felt like someone had just punched me in the gut and left their fist inside me. They were making fun of my weight and how skinny I was, shouting and pointing for what seemed to be an eternity. The only thing I knew to do was to ask for the Frisbee, "Jeff! Jeff! Throw it here." And then I did the unthinkable. I ran over to the guy doing most of the pointing and shouting, and I attempted to shove the Frisbee

Secure

My family has a tradition. We always get our Christmas tree on Black Friday. It's the earliest you can get one before all the needles fall off just by looking at it wrong. (The week of Christmas I try not to look directly at the tree - always out of the peripheral.) Not only do we get it the same date, but we also get it from the same place which is about thirty minutes away - without the tree on top, of course. Another part of the tradition is showing up at the tree farm totally unprepared and unequipped. Part of the joy is the expressions and stares of others that are there with their gloves, pick-up trucks, roof racks and bungee straps. Some of them probably think we showed up spontaneously as they watch us, in total disbelief, throw a tree on our unprotected car roof without anything to tie it down with. Now, to this point I'm happy with our tradition. But it's here, the part where the tree has to get secured to the car, that I could do without. You would think, that a

Flow (The Parallels of Cholesterol and Our Spiritual Health), Part 1

A couple weeks ago, I went to the doctor to get my test results regarding my cholesterol. I have to tell you I went in feeling pretty confident. I was pretty sure he was going to tell me that I was fine, and I could keep doing what I was doing. One of my biggest weaknesses is food. I love being able to eat whatever I want to without gaining any weight. (I can hear some of you snarling at me reading those words, but hold your snarls. They may soon turn to chuckles.) My worst fear became reality as the doctor unpacked the report that I would no longer be able to eat whatever I wanted to whenever I wanted to. As he handed me the pamphlet of the do's and don'ts of eating, I started having an out-of-body experience right there in his office. If he was talking, I didn't know it. I was...gone. Flashes of floating rice cakes, lettuce and bran muffins were popping up everywhere. Was I really going to have to start eating those things some of my friends were trying to get me to eat