Skip to main content

When Your Normal Is Hijacked

The other day a commercial came on that I think was about cereal. It ended with the dad giving his son a celebration hip check (because this is always what you want to do after eating Raisin Bran :) ). Both were smiling from ear to ear with their perfect father-and- son relationship in their beautiful, perfect house. Everything seemed for them... well…normal...without problems - no disease, no disorders, no Bell's Palsy. 

And this question mixed with complaint crossed my mind, "Why can't I have that?"

All in all, life has been pretty close to a "celebration hip check" for me. Yes, there have been some small bumps and stitches along the way. (And yes, I could have done without the softball collision that broke my entire face.) But for the most part, it's been good...normal. 

A few years ago our "normal" was hijacked, and my family and I were left trying to figure out what happened, what to do, and how we were going to move on without "him."

We were crushed, confused, and angry. 
This wasn't supposed to happen to us. We prayed. We believed. We trusted. 

What do you do when what you thought was promised to you doesn't come? 
What do you do when your worst nightmare comes true?

As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus asked. "Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments: 'You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother. 'Teacher," the man replied, "I've obeyed all these commandments since I was young." Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. "There is still one thing you haven't done," he told him. "Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
                                                                                                        Mark 10:17-21

Most of us probably have a secret fear we would never mention to anyone. This one thing that we never want to see happen above all others. You may assume it's the same for everyone, but it's definitely not. 

In the story of the rich man, his worst nightmare was losing his money. We might assume that this fear of losing his money was greater than contracting a disease or even dying. The Bible says he actually came running to Jesus. You could almost hear the panic in his steps and the anxiety in his throat. He desperately wants to hear a positive diagnosis to what he's been wondering. 

But he doesn't get the news he wants. His worst-case scenario comes true, and he walks away with more fear than what he ran in with. 

But did he have to?

I believe that sometimes our fears and tough seasons reveal a lot about where our devotion lies and who and what we're really trusting in. I believe that this is the time where Jesus deals with the questions beneath our questions. This is where roots are uncovered. This is when the foundation gets inspected, tested, strengthened, or weakened. 

Sometimes we're crushed by an unexpected death, a bad report, or we're let go from our job.
Sometimes we're convicted about something that we don't want to let go of.

In any case we have a choice. When our normal is taken away, when our fears come true, when we're hit with something that is bigger than what we can handle, how will we respond? 

We will either walk away from Jesus, or we'll walk closer to Jesus.

Can I encourage you to step closer? Because unless you step closer you won't be able to receive everything that makes God...well, God. 

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."
                                                                                                        Matthew 11:28

God is bigger than anything you're going through, but He's also bigger what you're holding on to.

Maybe for you it's allowing a "normal" to be hijacked - to exchange it for what Jesus is offering. If you're balancing the two things, it doesn't seem like a fair trade, but that's because you're looking through the wrong lenses. We must keep an eternal perspective to see the value and significance in what Jesus is calling us to do and let go of. 

Maybe you're in the middle of your nightmare come true or a tough season. You've taken a few steps closer to Jesus, but you're only buying some of what's He's selling. Please buy it all! Be patient and live in the grace He has for you today. You can't live in tomorrow's grace. It will be there when you get there. 

Notice that the rich man walked away sad. He knew that what Jesus was saying was truth, but he wouldn't make the exchange. "Normal" had him. Don't let this be you. When the Holy Spirit speaks and you know in your heart it's truth, don't walk away. Make the exchange.

God is good. He's on your side. And He'll get you through this. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flow (The Parallels of Cholesterol and Our Spiritual Health), Part 1

A couple weeks ago, I went to the doctor to get my test results regarding my cholesterol. I have to tell you I went in feeling pretty confident. I was pretty sure he was going to tell me that I was fine, and I could keep doing what I was doing. One of my biggest weaknesses is food. I love being able to eat whatever I want to without gaining any weight. (I can hear some of you snarling at me reading those words, but hold your snarls. They may soon turn to chuckles.) My worst fear became reality as the doctor unpacked the report that I would no longer be able to eat whatever I wanted to whenever I wanted to. As he handed me the pamphlet of the do's and don'ts of eating, I started having an out-of-body experience right there in his office. If he was talking, I didn't know it. I was...gone. Flashes of floating rice cakes, lettuce and bran muffins were popping up everywhere. Was I really going to have to start eating those things some of my friends were trying to get me to eat...

Scissors

Last Christmas while I was shopping with my family, our youngest daughter Mackenzie decided to spontaneously leap out of her stroller for an afternoon jog through the very crowded mall. At first I stood there in total disbelief at what just happened; it was almost surreal...I mean, even for a two-year-old, who just gets up and starts running for no reason with absolutely no warnings or signs. For a few brief seconds it was silent like in a movie scene where a bomb goes off real close to someone and they can't hear anything and then slowly the volume comes back. Mine came back with my wife's voice asking me what the heck I was doing just standing there looking at an empty stroller. So I start running. Bobbing and weaving, ducking and jumping...I have to admit, it was kind of thrilling. I felt like I was invincible, nothing could stop me or intimidate me. I feared nothing. My goal was recapturing Mackenzie, end of story. I finally did corner her in a store, or so I thought. After...

Popcorn

When I first started dating my wife, I would do anything not to embarrass myself. But as many of us know and have found out at least a few times in our lives, that is an impossible task. The most humiliating moment came at a movie theater soon after Nicki and I started seeing each other. We had gotten our seats and were comfortable, when I decided I would go out and get us some popcorn and a drink while the advertisements were playing. When I got back, the lights had been turned down and the movie was just getting started. Now, our seats were on the other side, so I had to walk across the front to get to them. Somehow I tripped, causing popcorn to fly in the air and land all over the people in the front row. Laughing, clapping, snorts, and cheers ensued while I speed walked to my seat. I was hoping that she didn't see or hear what happened. But with all the commotion (and only a few pieces of popcorn left in the giant bag), I knew I would have some serious explaining to do. But no...